Quantcast

"isa<> used on a null pointer" assertion failure in NamedDecl::getQualifiedNameAsString

"isa<> used on a null pointer" assertion failure in NamedDecl::getQualifiedNameAsString

Jarrid Rector-Brooks
I've been building a source to source translation tool with libtooling.  The following function in my tool cause clang crash:

bool VProfVisitor::VisitCXXMemberCallExpr(const CXXMemberCallExpr *call) {
    const std::string functionName = call->getMethodDecl()->getQualifiedNameAsString();

    // My code

    return true;
}

Specifically, the first line causes the assertion to fail.  The line in the source I am parsing which my translator fails on is the return statement of the following function:

  virtual bool walk(Item_processor processor, bool walk_subquery, uchar *arg)
  {
    return (this->*processor)(arg);
  }

I've been looking through llvm's source code, but I can't figure out exactly what might be causing it.  Might anyone have experience with a bug like this?