clang sparc backend

Fangrui Song via cfe-dev
does clang support sparc backend?

I tried " clang -target sparc " to compile a simple c program on ubuntu(x86_64), clang detects sparc as a valid target but does not work with it.

/usr/bin/as: unrecognized option '-Av8'
clang-11: error: assembler command failed with exit code 1

Re: clang sparc backend

Fangrui Song via cfe-dev
Hi,

It sounds as if the sparc back end is not using the integrated assembler
and so it will call out to the default assembler for your toolchain.
Because you have not specified a -B option, the default search path will
be /usr/bin, where it is finding an assembler.  This assembler,
unfortunately, cannot handle SPARC assembly (it sounds as if it's an
x86-64 build of gas).

If you want to assemble the output from clang, you will need to install
a SPARC assembler (and, for it to be useful, also install a SPARC
linker) and specify -B {path/to/tools} in the flags that you pass to clang.

David

On 01/05/2020 07:40, suyash singh via cfe-dev wrote:

> does clang support sparc backend?
> I tried " clang -target sparc " to compile a simple c program on
> ubuntu(x86_64), clang detects sparc as a valid target but does not work
> with it.
>
> /usr/bin/as: unrecognized option '-Av8'
> clang-11: error: assembler command failed with exit code 1

Re: clang sparc backend

Fangrui Song via cfe-dev
The sparc integrated assembler does generally work, you can enable with -fintegrated-as. IIRC, it was disabled by default because there's some edge cases it didn't handle, but I don't remember the details.

On 2020-05-01, James Y Knight via cfe-dev wrote:
>The sparc integrated assembler does generally work, you can enable with
>-fintegrated-as. IIRC, it was disabled by default because there's some edge
>cases it didn't handle, but I don't remember the details.

https://reviews.llvm.org/rL254199 listed some issues with the integrated
assembler.