clang+llvm uses gcc?

Alexander Herz
hi,

apparently I musunderstood something here. I'm trying to compile and run
the t.c from the getting started page
(http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html).
Invoking "clang t.c" gives me an error that it failed because it has no
permissions to access gcc. Why is it calling gcc? I though tzhe clang
front end parses c into llvm IL and then the llvm generates a x86
binary, so where and especially why is gcc needed?

Sorry if this is actually a llvm amd not a clang related question, I'm
confused :)

Thx!

Re: [cfe-dev] clang+llvm uses gcc?

Eli Friedman
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:58 AM, herz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi,
>
> apparently I musunderstood something here. I'm trying to compile and run
> the t.c from the getting started page
> (http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html).
> Invoking "clang t.c" gives me an error that it failed because it has no
> permissions to access gcc. Why is it calling gcc? I though tzhe clang
> front end parses c into llvm IL and then the llvm generates a x86
> binary, so where and especially why is gcc needed?

On platforms where clang doesn't know how to properly call the
assembler and linker directly, the clang uses the gcc driver to
perform these tasks.  if you pass "-S" to clang, it won't touch gcc.

-Eli