Quantcast

clang-cc is gone

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

clang-cc is gone

Daniel Dunbar
(resending for visibility beyond cfe-commits)

clang-cc has been removed, for sanity you should probably remove any
copies you find lying around in your development trees. It has been
replaced by 'clang -cc1', so both tools are in a single executable.

clang (the driver) still calls clang -cc1 (the frontend) during
compilation, so don't expect gdb/shark on clang to work differently,
yet.

 - Daniel
_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: clang-cc is gone

John Thompson
So to use the old clang-cc options, you use the -cc1 option?  I.e.:
 
clang-cc -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c
 
becomes:
 
clang -cc1 -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c
If so, you probably want to fix the --help option to show "-cc1", or otherwise indicate how it is done.  Otherwise the only clue is the -Xclang option, which I couldn't get to work.
 
Use:
 
clang -cc1 --help
 
to get the old options.
 
Are we moving to make the driver recognize the clang-cc options, or at least those for which it makes sense?
 
The tests still seem to work, even though I removed clang-cc.exe.  Is the test driver translating the clang-cc run lines?
 
The user guide could use some work to be more complete and formatted more clearly with respect to the options.  If it's on no one's plate, I'd be happy to help with that, once things are settled.
 
-John
 
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Daniel Dunbar <[hidden email]> wrote:
(resending for visibility beyond cfe-commits)

clang-cc has been removed, for sanity you should probably remove any
copies you find lying around in your development trees. It has been
replaced by 'clang -cc1', so both tools are in a single executable.

clang (the driver) still calls clang -cc1 (the frontend) during
compilation, so don't expect gdb/shark on clang to work differently,
yet.

 - Daniel
_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev



--
John Thompson
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: clang-cc is gone

Daniel Dunbar
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM, John Thompson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So to use the old clang-cc options, you use the -cc1 option?  I.e.:
>
> clang-cc -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c
>
> becomes:
>
> clang -cc1 -faltivec -syntax-only Parser/ativec.c

Correct.

> If so, you probably want to fix the --help option to show "-cc1", or
> otherwise indicate how it is done.  Otherwise the only clue is the -Xclang
> option, which I couldn't get to work.

-cc1 is not a user feature, I actively don't want it in the help.
-Xclang is similarly only for developers. I will document them more in
the clang developer documentation at some point. -Xclang is hard to
use if you don't understand the driver, because the driver doesn't
"see" it, and it doesn't effect the driver actions.

> clang -cc1 --help
>
> to get the old options.
>
> Are we moving to make the driver recognize the clang-cc options, or at least
> those for which it makes sense?

Not actively. I am always hesitant to expose things from the driver
proper as it is tantamount to publicly supporting the feature which
raises the quality bar. If you have specific features you think should
be exposed, we should treat them on a case by case basis.

> The tests still seem to work, even though I removed clang-cc.exe.  Is the
> test driver translating the clang-cc run lines?

Yes, it has in fact always done this (to make the path absolute and
honor CLANGCC the environment variable). I will be rewriting the tests
to make this more obvious.

> The user guide could use some work to be more complete and formatted more
> clearly with respect to the options.  If it's on no one's plate, I'd be
> happy to help with that, once things are settled.

That would be awesome.

 - Daniel

> -John
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Daniel Dunbar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> (resending for visibility beyond cfe-commits)
>>
>> clang-cc has been removed, for sanity you should probably remove any
>> copies you find lying around in your development trees. It has been
>> replaced by 'clang -cc1', so both tools are in a single executable.
>>
>> clang (the driver) still calls clang -cc1 (the frontend) during
>> compilation, so don't expect gdb/shark on clang to work differently,
>> yet.
>>
>>  - Daniel
>> _______________________________________________
>> cfe-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
>
>
>
> --
> John Thompson
> [hidden email]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> cfe-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
>
>

_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Loading...