clang bootstraps on linux arm :-)

Rafael Espindola
Clang just finished bootstrapping on linux arm. Both llvm and clang
are synced @106540. To bootstrap what I did was

*) Build gold and copy it over /usr/bin/ld. GNU ld cannot handle clang
in 256MB of ram (I was using a beagleboard)
*) Build a new gas and copy it over /usr/bin/as. The old gas was
confused by some of assembly produced by llvm.
*) Build stage1 with --enable-optimized --with-optimize-option=-O1.
The debian provided gcc miscompiles clang at -O2 and above.
*) Build stages 2 and 3 with CC="..../clang -mfloat-abi=softfp" and
CXX=".../clang++ -mfloat-abi=softfp " ../llvm/configue
--enable-optimized

I will try to fix the floab-abi thing soon.

Thanks a lot to everyone that helped with suggestions, bugpoint tips
and fixing bugs.

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola

Re: clang bootstraps on linux arm :-)

Chris Lattner

On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Rafael Espindola wrote:

> Clang just finished bootstrapping on linux arm. Both llvm and clang
> are synced @106540. To bootstrap what I did was
>
> *) Build gold and copy it over /usr/bin/ld. GNU ld cannot handle clang
> in 256MB of ram (I was using a beagleboard)
> *) Build a new gas and copy it over /usr/bin/as. The old gas was
> confused by some of assembly produced by llvm.
> *) Build stage1 with --enable-optimized --with-optimize-option=-O1.
> The debian provided gcc miscompiles clang at -O2 and above.
> *) Build stages 2 and 3 with CC="..../clang -mfloat-abi=softfp" and
> CXX=".../clang++ -mfloat-abi=softfp " ../llvm/configue
> --enable-optimized
>
> I will try to fix the floab-abi thing soon.
>
> Thanks a lot to everyone that helped with suggestions, bugpoint tips
> and fixing bugs.

Wow, congrats Rafael!

-Chris

Re: clang bootstraps on linux arm :-)

Evan Cheng

On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:43 PM, Chris Lattner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Rafael Espindola wrote:
>
>> Clang just finished bootstrapping on linux arm. Both llvm and clang
>> are synced @106540. To bootstrap what I did was
>>
>> *) Build gold and copy it over /usr/bin/ld. GNU ld cannot handle clang
>> in 256MB of ram (I was using a beagleboard)
>> *) Build a new gas and copy it over /usr/bin/as. The old gas was
>> confused by some of assembly produced by llvm.
>> *) Build stage1 with --enable-optimized --with-optimize-option=-O1.
>> The debian provided gcc miscompiles clang at -O2 and above.
>> *) Build stages 2 and 3 with CC="..../clang -mfloat-abi=softfp" and
>> CXX=".../clang++ -mfloat-abi=softfp " ../llvm/configue
>> --enable-optimized
>>
>> I will try to fix the floab-abi thing soon.

Is there a bugzilla tracking this?

Another question: is this ARM or Thumb? v7?

>> Thanks a lot to everyone that helped with suggestions, bugpoint tips
>> and fixing bugs.
>
> Wow, congrats Rafael!

Indeed. This is fantastic!

Evan

> -Chris

Re: clang bootstraps on linux arm :-)

Rafael Espindola
> Is there a bugzilla tracking this?

No, it looks like a really simple thing to add: eabi -> softfp.

> Another question: is this ARM or Thumb? v7?

ARMv7. A cortex-a8 to be exact. I haven't checked what cpu exactly
clang was using. Will double check it is doing codegen for a v7.

>>> Thanks a lot to everyone that helped with suggestions, bugpoint tips
>>> and fixing bugs.
>>
>> Wow, congrats Rafael!
>
> Indeed. This is fantastic!

Thanks.