clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi Team,

We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.

Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.

Thanks & Regards,

Suryakanta Sahoo

Project Engineer,

Wipro Technology Services Ltd

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running?
- What steps have you performed?
- What error messages do you receive?

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried installing
> using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted
> via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused
> by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:15:49PM +0000, via cfe-dev wrote:
> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried installing
> using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.

We can't help you if you don't tell us the problems you are seeing.

Joerg

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hi David/Joerg,

Below are requested details.

Your quick support is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi Serge,

Thanks for the response!

We are using the latest version of gcc (6.2)and python(3.3) but the cmake is picking up the server installed packages only.

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
The problem is sudo.

Once you run sudo, you are root and have a completely different environment. My guess is that the newer version of gcc is installed in a non-standard location. If that's the case, you may need a few more options.

Try running cmake and make without sudo, then, if needed, run "sudo make install" to actually do the installation step.

hth...
don

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:35 AM via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Serge,

Thanks for the response!

We are using the latest version of gcc (6.2)and python(3.3) but the cmake is picking up the server installed packages only.

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi Hinton,

Will check and revert back.

Thanks,

Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Btw, sudo only explains the gcc version issue.

The other errors seem to indicate cmake can't find the llvm directory.  Did you download llvm?  Normally, you download clang under the llvm/tools directory (renaming or linking cfe as clang), then run cmake like this:

  cmake <options> ../llvm

where ../llvm points to the llvm root directory.

again, hth...
don

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:52 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Hinton,

Will check and revert back.

Thanks,

Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi Don,

Tried without sudo but still the same issue.

llvm 3.9 is downloaded. Do you want me to link clang to llvm/tools?

FYI

[sainu@oulnxc55 xfer/sainu/cfe-3.9.0.src]$ls

bindings  CMakeLists.txt   docs      include  INSTALL.txt  LICENSE.TXT     NOTES.txt   runtime  tools      utils

cmake     CODE_OWNERS.TXT  examples  INPUTS   lib          ModuleInfo.txt  README.txt  test     unittests  www

[sainu@oulnxc55 xfer/sainu/llvm-3.9.0.src/tools]$ls

bugpoint         llvm-ar                           llvm-cov        llvm-extract      llvm-mcmarkup  llvm-shlib       msbuild              yaml2obj

bugpoint-passes  llvm-as                           llvm-c-test     llvm-go           llvm-nm        llvm-size        obj2yaml

CMakeLists.txt   llvm-as-fuzzer                    llvm-cxxdump    llvm-jitlistener  llvm-objdump   llvm-split       opt

dsymutil         llvm-as-parasitic-coverage-repro  llvm-diff       llvm-link         llvm-pdbdump   llvm-stress      sancov

gold             llvm-bcanalyzer                   llvm-dis        llvm-lto          llvm-profdata  llvm-symbolizer  sanstats

llc              LLVMBuild.txt                     llvm-dwarfdump  llvm-mc           llvm-readobj   llvm-vtabledump  verify-uselistorder

lli              llvm-config                       llvm-dwp        llvm-mc-fuzzer    llvm-rtdyld    lto              xcode-toolchain

[sainu@oulnxc55 xfer/sainu/llvm-3.9.0.src/tools]$

Thanks,

Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
If you want to build llvm+clang from scratch, please follow these instructions:

http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

But, if you just want to use it, I'd suggest you download one of the pre-built binaries found here:

http://llvm.org/releases/download.html

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:34 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage

I have downloaded the binaries from the below mentioned site and trying to compile but facing issues.

http://llvm.org/releases/download.html

Could you please help me with the steps to be performed in linux for compiling clang.

Thanks,

Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi Don,

Greetings for the day!

As the clang 4.0 been released, can you help me in selecting the correct version from the pre-built binaries for RHEL7 - x86_64

http://llvm.org/releases/download.html

cid:image001.png@01D29E5D.C6E50290

Your quick reply would  be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hi Chandini:

I've never used any of the pre-built binaries, so I really don't know.  Perhaps someone else could give a better answer.

take care...
don

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:34 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Don,

Greetings for the day!

As the clang 4.0 been released, can you help me in selecting the correct version from the pre-built binaries for RHEL7 - x86_64

http://llvm.org/releases/download.html

cid:image001.png@01D29E5D.C6E50290

Your quick reply would  be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chandini

** This mail has been sent from an external source **

Hi,

You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to help you.

For example:
- Which Linux distribution/version are you running? → RHEL6.7
- What steps have you performed?

GCC version → gcc_6_2_0
Cmake version → cmake-3_6_2
Python version → python3_3_2

Command being used →  sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/applics/platform/clang_3_9_0 -DLLVM_ENABLE_FFI=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB=ON -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD="host;AMDGPU" -Wno-dev ..

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage
> caused by any virus transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi,

Can someone help me with the below query.

Thanks,

Chandini

> [...]

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage

Can't help with the prebuilt versions -- they are mostly provided to test new versions and not used for anything else.

But I will try to help you build it, so please run the following commands (and never run sudo or login as root unless you absolutely have to).  Please provide both the command and the output -- just cut-n-paste both from your terminal:

$ uname -a
$ cmake --version
$ gcc -v
$ python -V

This should tell you the defaults that cmake will use.  Also, as Serge noted above, the cmake_error.txt file you provided showed that you were using the wrong versions of both gcc and python.

If you have newer versions for gcc and python installed on your box, you can always use the CC and CXX environment variables to select a different compiler or different version, e.g.,

$ CC=gcc-6.2 CXX=g++-6.2 cmake ../llvm ........

Not sure the best way to set your python version, other than symlink or alias, but a google search should provide plenty of alternatives.

Once you have fixed those 2 problems, we can try running cmake.

hth...
don

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 12:01 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> [...]

- What error messages do you receive?

Errors attached.

Best regards
David

> Hi Team,
>

> We are trying to install clang 3.9 in Linux Server. We tried
> installing using the steps available in the website, we are getting errors.
>

> Could you please assist us with the procedure to do so.
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Suryakanta Sahoo
>
> Project Engineer,
>
> Wipro Technology Services Ltd

> immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email.
> The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the
> presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage

Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Homepage: https://people.cs.nctu.edu.tw/~chenwj

Re: clang 3.9 installation

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev

Hi Chenwj,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to install the below linux binaries but receiving below error.

-bash: ./clang: cannot execute binary file

$uname -a

Linux oulng127.emea.nsn-net.net 3.10.0-327.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Oct 29 17:29:29 EDT 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux