[analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

[analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev
Hi,

I work with the static analyzer for a while now, but I still don't know what the abbreviation ENTO stands for. Actually, a huge part of the analyzer resides in the ento namespace. Seems like it used to be called "GR" ... Would be also interesting to know what does the GR abbreviations mean.

Thanks!

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev
Hi!

It is a joke. It abbreviates entomology. [1]

On Tue, May 26, 2020, 12:17 AM Gábor Márton via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I work with the static analyzer for a while now, but I still don't know what the abbreviation ENTO stands for. Actually, a huge part of the analyzer resides in the ento namespace. Seems like it used to be called "GR" ... Would be also interesting to know what does the GR abbreviations mean.

Thanks!

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev
No, I think this rather an allusion that this stuff supposed to find bugs. In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer). As such I am turning this conversation into an RFC on that renaming suggestion (+cfe-dev again).

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Denis Petrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is a joke. It abbreviates entomology. [1]

Is it a reference emphasising of amount of bugs inside it? :)​​

Denys Petrov
Senior С++ Developer | Kharkiv, Ukraine