[analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

[analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hi,

I work with the static analyzer for a while now, but I still don't know what the abbreviation ENTO stands for. Actually, a huge part of the analyzer resides in the ento namespace. Seems like it used to be called "GR" ... Would be also interesting to know what does the GR abbreviations mean.

Thanks!

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hi!

It is a joke. It abbreviates entomology. [1]

On Tue, May 26, 2020, 12:17 AM Gábor Márton via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I work with the static analyzer for a while now, but I still don't know what the abbreviation ENTO stands for. Actually, a huge part of the analyzer resides in the ento namespace. Seems like it used to be called "GR" ... Would be also interesting to know what does the GR abbreviations mean.

Thanks!

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
No, I think this rather an allusion that this stuff supposed to find bugs. In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer). As such I am turning this conversation into an RFC on that renaming suggestion (+cfe-dev again).

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Denis Petrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is a joke. It abbreviates entomology. [1]

Is it a reference emphasising of amount of bugs inside it? :)​​

Denys Petrov
Senior С++ Developer | Kharkiv, Ukraine

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer).
I strongly share your suggestion. I would love a sensible namespace.

Folks, please share your thoughts on this.

On Tue, May 26, 2020, 12:16 Gábor Márton via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, I think this rather an allusion that this stuff supposed to find bugs. In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer). As such I am turning this conversation into an RFC on that renaming suggestion (+cfe-dev again).

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM Denis Petrov <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is a joke. It abbreviates entomology. [1]

Is it a reference emphasising of amount of bugs inside it? :)​​

Denys Petrov
Senior С++ Developer | Kharkiv, Ukraine

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 1:35 PM Balázs Benics via cfe-dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer).
> I strongly share your suggestion. I would love a sensible namespace.
>
> Folks, please share your thoughts on this.

I have no issues renaming ento to something that's more clear, but I
have a hard time agreeing that sa adds enough clarity over ento to be
worth the churn to the code base.

~Aaron

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
I do not have a strong opinion on the name of the namespace but I do agree with Aaron. A 2 letter namespace would not be a big improvement over ento. What about analyzer?

Cheers,
Gabor

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer).
> I strongly share your suggestion. I would love a sensible namespace.
>
> Folks, please share your thoughts on this.

I have no issues renaming ento to something that's more clear, but I
have a hard time agreeing that sa adds enough clarity over ento to be
worth the churn to the code base.

~Aaron

Re: [analyzer] Spell out ENTO in clang::ento

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
As a first step, I think ento should be added to
https://llvm.org/docs/Lexicon.html

Even if the namespace was renamed, people would keep stumbling upon
"ento" for a while in old docs/code, so being in the glossary would
still help.

--
Nicolás

El jue., 20 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 14:35, Balázs Benics via cfe-dev
([hidden email]) escribió:

> > In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer).
> I strongly share your suggestion. I would love a sensible namespace.
>
> Folks, please share your thoughts on this.
>
> On Tue, May 26, 2020, 12:16 Gábor Márton via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, I think this rather an allusion that this stuff supposed to find bugs. In my opinion this is a great example of bad and meaningless naming. "ento" says nothing to a newcomer, neither to experienced folks. I'd rather rename the namespace simply to sa (Static Analyzer). As such I am turning this conversation into an RFC on that renaming suggestion (+cfe-dev again).

>>> Is it a reference emphasising of amount of bugs inside it? :)

>>> Denys Petrov
>>> Senior С++ Developer | Kharkiv, Ukraine

I vote for keeping it.  It's short, sweet and memorable.  Contrary to the previous opinions, I think it's a great name for something like a namespace.

--
Krzysztof Parzyszek  [hidden email]   AI tools development