Quantcast

Training files for building clang with PGO?

Training files for building clang with PGO?

Keane, Erich via cfe-dev
Hi all! Quick question about building clang with PGO.

I've found the documentation on this process somewhat unclear. I get that the
source files used for training/profiling should go into
<clang-path>/utils/perf-training, but I don't understand from where I am
supposed to get those files. The single hello_world.cpp definitely isn't enough
for PGO to be useful.

Are the training files something that is to be added in the future? Or am I
supposed to copy the training files from somewhere else? And if it's the latter,
from where?

Thanks for your help,

-Alex

Re: Training files for building clang with PGO?

Keane, Erich via cfe-dev
Alex Wang via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all! Quick question about building clang with PGO.
>
> I've found the documentation on this process somewhat unclear. I get
> that the source files used for training/profiling should go into
> <clang-path>/utils/perf-training, but I don't understand from where I
> am supposed to get those files. The single hello_world.cpp definitely
> isn't enough for PGO to be useful.
>
> Are the training files something that is to be added in the future? Or
> am I supposed to copy the training files from somewhere else? And if
> it's the latter, from where?

The idea is that you add representative inputs from workloads you care
about there. These can and do differ between different vendors of clang,
so it really depends on what you want your clang optimized for.

Re: Training files for building clang with PGO?

Keane, Erich via cfe-dev
> On Mar 16, 2017, at 4:09 PM, Justin Bogner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alex Wang via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Hi all! Quick question about building clang with PGO.
>>
>> I've found the documentation on this process somewhat unclear. I get
>> that the source files used for training/profiling should go into
>> <clang-path>/utils/perf-training, but I don't understand from where I
>> am supposed to get those files. The single hello_world.cpp definitely
>> isn't enough for PGO to be useful.
>>
>> Are the training files something that is to be added in the future? Or
>> am I supposed to copy the training files from somewhere else? And if
>> it's the latter, from where?
>
> The idea is that you add representative inputs from workloads you care
> about there. These can and do differ between different vendors of clang,
> so it really depends on what you want your clang optimized for.

Ah, I see. I thought there would be a "generic" set of files to profile with
somewhere, but it looks like I was mistaken. Thank you!