Status of AIX support

Manas via cfe-dev

What is the current status of AIX support for clang/clang++ ?  I’m finding some targets (needed to actually build software) don’t seem to be supported, but I haven’t found any discussion of AIX support.

Thanks,

Rob Boehne

Rob Boehne

Senior Software Architect | Datalogics, Inc.

datalogics.com | blogs.datalogics.com

Connect with us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

Re: Status of AIX support

Manas via cfe-dev

I think the real problem I’m having  getting a clang++ to build software is that I haven’t found a guide for integrating a libstdc++ installation with it

I re-built with -DGCC_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/freeware passed to cmake, but that didn’t appear to change anything.

Does clang++ (the driver) do anything to add “system” include paths when compiling c++ or does  libstdc++ need to already be in the system path list to find <iostream> without additional flags?

Re: Status of AIX support

Manas via cfe-dev
There are some C++ interoperability issues with getting clang++ to work with libstdc++.  There are challenges with exception handling interoperability and static initialization (on which I can elaborate on if there's interest.)  On AIX, the XLC++ compilers are not interoperable with g++.  At the moment my team is focused on implementing clang++ interoperability with the XLC++ V16.1 xlclang++ compiler, though we are trying our best to leave the door open for g++ interoperability as much as possible.  Feedback on this matter is welcome.

We've been working towards enabling LLVM development for AIX with the external community.  Currently, there are several OS header updates that IBM needs to deploy with the OS in order to work correctly with clang.  We haven't been testing clang against the GNU headers on AIX so far because our focus has been enabling libc++ on AIX for interoperability with the XLC++ V16.1 xlclang++ compiler.  I hope to publish a package, which includes clang binaries for AIX so that everyone has access to a build compiler for LLVM on AIX.  If an early release of such a package would be useful to you, please let me know and I'll see if I can cut some red tape and get you something.  There are some significant limitations in these compilers.  These include challenges with functional exception handling, altivec, debug support, and TLS, to name a few, nonetheless, we have been able to bootstrap LLVM on AIX with some temporary downstream work.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 8:58 PM Rob Boehne via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

We've been working towards enabling LLVM development for AIX with the external community.  Currently, there are several OS header updates that IBM needs to deploy with the OS in order to work correctly with clang.  We haven't been testing clang against the GNU headers on AIX so far because our focus has been enabling libc++ on AIX for interoperability with the XLC++ V16.1 xlclang++ compiler.  I hope to publish a package, which includes clang binaries for AIX so that everyone has access to a build compiler for LLVM on AIX.  If an early release of such a package would be useful to you, please let me know and I'll see if I can cut some red tape and get you something.  There are some significant limitations to these compilers.  These include challenges with functional exception handling, altivec, debug support, and TLS, to name a few, nonetheless, we have been able to bootstrap LLVM on AIX with some temporary downstream work.