Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev
Why? Because we have a mixture scattered about the codebase, but only a very few with `.TXT`. I like consistency. It makes my obsessive tendancies happy.

Is this important? Nope.

Why am I asking first? Because its possible someone, somewhere will be disrupted by this so I figured I'd ask first.

-Chandler

Re: [libcxx-dev] Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev
SGTM.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Hubert Tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm wondering if this would wreak havoc upon semi-case-sensitive systems like Windows. I'd like to hear from people who use Git and SVN on Windows.

FWIW, I will of course not do this in any case where there might be a collision due to such file systems. I don't think there are any such cases however.

-- HT

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why? Because we have a mixture scattered about the codebase, but only a very few with `.TXT`. I like consistency. It makes my obsessive tendancies happy.

Is this important? Nope.

Why am I asking first? Because its possible someone, somewhere will be disrupted by this so I figured I'd ask first.

-Chandler

Re: Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev
The problem here might be git trying to rename 'file.TXT' to
'file.txt', which results in an error on Windows since it sees both as
the same name.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10523849/changing-capitalization-of-filenames-in-git
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8604535/git-rebase-issue-with-files-of-same-name-but-different-case
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6899582/i-change-the-capitalization-of-a-directory-and-git-doesnt-seem-to-pick-up-on-it

Some problems on Windows/MacOS systems are possible.

Michael

Am Do., 17. Jan. 2019 um 20:53 Uhr schrieb Chandler Carruth via
cfe-dev <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Hubert Tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if this would wreak havoc upon semi-case-sensitive systems like Windows. I'd like to hear from people who use Git and SVN on Windows.
>

> FWIW, I will of course not do this in any case where there might be a collision due to such file systems. I don't think there are any such cases however.
>

>> -- HT
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? Because we have a mixture scattered about the codebase, but only a very few with `.TXT`. I like consistency. It makes my obsessive tendancies happy.
>>>
>>> Is this important? Nope.
>>>
>>> Why am I asking first? Because its possible someone, somewhere will be disrupted by this so I figured I'd ask first.
>>>
>>> -Chandler

Re: Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev
I mean, I can try to get these to not be "renames" in svn... but surely modern windows SVN clients handle this correctly? (and git clienst?)

cfe-dev <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Hubert Tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if this would wreak havoc upon semi-case-sensitive systems like Windows. I'd like to hear from people who use Git and SVN on Windows.
>

> FWIW, I will of course not do this in any case where there might be a collision due to such file systems. I don't think there are any such cases however.
>

>> -- HT
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? Because we have a mixture scattered about the codebase, but only a very few with `.TXT`. I like consistency. It makes my obsessive tendancies happy.
>>>
>>> Is this important? Nope.
>>>
>>> Why am I asking first? Because its possible someone, somewhere will be disrupted by this so I figured I'd ask first.
>>>
>>> -Chandler

Re: [llvm-dev] Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev
Yea, I honestly don't think this will be a problem.  I'm happy to help you test this in the office one day, you can just check in a test file, i'll sync, then rename with different case and check it in again, and I'll sync.  But I'm with you.  I'd be very surprised if this is a problem on modern clients.

cfe-dev <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Hubert Tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if this would wreak havoc upon semi-case-sensitive systems like Windows. I'd like to hear from people who use Git and SVN on Windows.
>

> FWIW, I will of course not do this in any case where there might be a collision due to such file systems. I don't think there are any such cases however.
>

>> -- HT
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:43 PM Chandler Carruth via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why? Because we have a mixture scattered about the codebase, but only a very few with `.TXT`. I like consistency. It makes my obsessive tendancies happy.
>>>
>>> Is this important? Nope.
>>>
>>> Why am I asking first? Because its possible someone, somewhere will be disrupted by this so I figured I'd ask first.
>>>
>>> -Chandler

Re: [llvm-dev] Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev
Cool, before doing anything, I'll work w/ Zach to confirm. (Thanks Zach!)

Any other concerns?

On 2019-01-18 04:27, Zachary Turner via cfe-dev wrote:
> Yea, I honestly don't think this will be a problem.  I'm happy to help
> you test this in the office one day, you can just check in a test file,
> i'll sync, then rename with different case and check it in again, and
> I'll sync.  But I'm with you.  I'd be very surprised if this is a
> problem on modern clients.

On macOS (which uses a case-insensitive) filesystem "git mv" works as
expected. But if you use the regular "mv" command "git status" will not
see the file as being renamed.

--
/Jacob Carlborg

Re: [llvm-dev] Shortest RFC ever: I propose we rename files using `.TXT` extension to use `.txt`

David Blaikie via cfe-dev

FTR, on Windows I have accidentally done things like

    git add lib/debuginfo/foobar

which works totally fine, until you try to checkout on Linux, where
you will discover you have both a lib/DebugInfo and a lib/debuginfo
directory sitting side-by-side, and your build dies mysteriously.

I would *never* be sanguine about multi-platform tools like git or svn
behaving "the way you expect" when it comes to filespec case.
--paulr

I did a case-only rename in https://reviews.llvm.org/rL272701 . There were similar concerns, but it worked out fine. I had tested that it works on Windows before doing it. I did that through svn. So I too think this shouldn't be an issue.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:59 AM via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I used this command (not even using a local checkout):

`svn mv -m "Rename Intrin.h to intrin.h, that's how all the documentation calls it."  https://nico@.../svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/lib/Headers/Intrin.h <a href="https://nico@llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/lib/Headers/intrin.h`">https://nico@.../svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/lib/Headers/intrin.h`