Re: [llvm-dev] Error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage class specifier [-Wregister], when building Boost 1.69.0

Re: [llvm-dev] Error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage class specifier [-Wregister], when building Boost 1.69.0

Richard Smith via cfe-dev
This seems a better question for cfe-dev or cfe-users

~Craig

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 12:23 PM Osman Zakir via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
When trying to build Boost using LLVM, I had this error:
"
error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage class specifier [-Wregister]
"
I attached the project-config.jam file I used to this message.  Someone please help me out (if there's someone on here who can).

Re: [llvm-dev] Error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage class specifier [-Wregister], when building Boost 1.69.0

Richard Smith via cfe-dev

Yes, this keyword is no longer valid starting from C++17:
    https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/keyword/register

I realize that the "why" probably doesn't help you move forth with your problem, so here are a couple suggestions how to get over it:

  • Build Boost in C++14 mode with -std=c++14
  • Cut out "register" from the Boost source and rebuild
  • Try a newer Boost version, it may have been fixed

Oleg.

Re: [llvm-dev] Error: ISO C++17 does not allow 'register' storage class specifier [-Wregister], when building Boost 1.69.0

Richard Smith via cfe-dev
The issue comes in part form the Python headers that have the keyword.
Unfortunately, this also means that there is an issue while building user code. But it's not a Boost code issue for this library, but a Python one.

Regards,

Matthieu