Re: Permissions for llvm-mirror - Setting up Libc++ Appveyor builders

Re: Permissions for llvm-mirror - Setting up Libc++ Appveyor builders

Nat! via cfe-dev
Adding cfe-dev list...

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Will,

I would like to request collaborator permissions for the Libc++ github mirror.

I plan to use the access to setup Appveyor buildbots for libc++. In order to do this I need to be listed as a collaborator on Github.

The alternative to Github access would be setting up the correct webhooks for llvm.org/git/libcxx.git, but this seems harder to both do and maintain.

/Eric

Re: [llvm-dev] Permissions for llvm-mirror - Setting up Libc++ Appveyor builders

Nat! via cfe-dev
What would be the status of these buildbots? Is it for your private usage?
Otherwise having “project' bots” using a non-official mirror may sound like a strange situation to me.

—
Mehdi

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the status of these buildbots? Is it for your private usage?

I intend for them to be public Windows buildbots for libc++.

Otherwise having “project' bots” using a non-official mirror may sound like a strange situation to me.

I agree it isn't ideal, but when/if LLVM moves to github it will be trivial to re-configure for the official repositories.
I considered a number of other ways to setup Appveyor but I concluded this was the best/easiest way to do it.
The other options I considered for configuring Appveyor are:

(1) Use the official LLVM github mirrors.

This has the issue of requiring the implementation of custom Git webhooks, which would require
modifying and maintaining changes to the existing LLVM Git infrastructure, which in itself
would require getting access to the LLVM servers to make the changes.

(2) Setup my own ever more unofficial github mirror

This has all the same problems as using the existing github mirrors but it requires
me to configure and maintain my own mirror, which is non-trivial.

(3) Don't use Appveyor at all

This requires finding Windows hardware to host the bots, which is the main reason
I chose Appveyor to begin with. Even if hardware was available I would prefer using
Appveyor since it provides more dominion over the environment than I think
donated hardware could.

/Eric

—

On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:39 AM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the status of these buildbots? Is it for your private usage?

I intend for them to be public Windows buildbots for libc++.

I’m not sure it’d be OK to send blame email to contributors based on this though.

—
Mehdi

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:39 AM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the status of these buildbots? Is it for your private usage?

I intend for them to be public Windows buildbots for libc++.

I’m not sure it’d be OK to send blame email to contributors based on this though.

I don't see why not (at least once the bot is stable). Can you elaborate?

/Eric

—
Mehdi

On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:39 AM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the status of these buildbots? Is it for your private usage?

I intend for them to be public Windows buildbots for libc++.

I’m not sure it’d be OK to send blame email to contributors based on this though.

I don't see why not (at least once the bot is stable). Can you elaborate?

I don’t think there is a precedent for having a bot that does not checkout from SVN and email using the canonical SVN revision number.

So it does not seems like a given to me  (not that I’m against it) and would require a discussion on the mailing-list first IMO.

—
Mehdi

/Eric

—
Mehdi

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:39 AM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Mehdi Amini <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the status of these buildbots? Is it for your private usage?

I intend for them to be public Windows buildbots for libc++.

I’m not sure it’d be OK to send blame email to contributors based on this though.

I don't see why not (at least once the bot is stable). Can you elaborate?

I don’t think there is a precedent for having a bot that does not checkout from SVN and email using the canonical SVN revision number.

I understand share your concern about the emails using nonsensical git hashes as opposed to SVN revision numbers.
Apart from that I have no idea why the version control used by the CI matters. It should have to effect on the build or the results.

So it does not seems like a given to me  (not that I’m against it) and would require a discussion on the mailing-list first IMO.

We might as well continue having it now since it's been started. I'll re-raise the issue in a month or so when the bot is
actually stable enough to consider sending emails.

—
Mehdi

/Eric

—
Mehdi

On Apr 20, 2017, at 7:03 PM, Eric Fiselier <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I don’t know, but other people may have other concern that I don’t necessarily anticipate..

So it does not seems like a given to me  (not that I’m against it) and would require a discussion on the mailing-list first IMO.

We might as well continue having it now since it's been started. I'll re-raise the issue in a month or so when the bot is
actually stable enough to consider sending emails.

I think it deserve a separate thread to deal with this, so that the thread title help making sure no-one miss the discussion.

—
Mehdi

Re: [llvm-dev] Permissions for llvm-mirror - Setting up Libc++ Appveyor builders

Nat! via cfe-dev
Hi,
Fragmentation of the bots is not ideal.  While I totally understand Eric's reasoning for doing so, and am delighted to see  another Windows bot helping to ensure quality code, I think this is a bit of a slippery slope.  We already have the main Buildbots, Green Dragon, Chapuni's Bots, a myriad of private bots and now this new bot.  I don't think it is reasonable to ask people to have to visit several different places to check if their commit broke something.  Anecdotally, I find many people will only look at lab.llvm.org:8011.  They will check Green Dragon if they get an email and then only if the email does not get lost in the noise.  Some folks are regular users of bb.pgr.jp but the actual number or regular visitors I don't know.

Perhaps it would be a more beneficial discussion to talk about putting together some type of portal which displays results from all the CI systems in one place?  I for one would love an interface which would be able to show any given commit and how is has performed across the board.  Something like this could possibly allow for anyone to stand up a bot or CI infrastructure of their choosing and then have that system integrated in a common reporting platform so it is useful and accessible to everyone.

Thoughts?

-Mike

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I'm definitely in favor of efforts to defragment our many CI systems, but I also don't want to stop people from doing more testing. :)

If AppVeyor is providing free testing resource to OSS projects, then great, let's try using it and see how it goes.