LLVM participation in GSoC and similar programs roundtable

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LLVM participation in GSoC and similar programs roundtable

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Dear All,

On Wednesday, October 23 at 5 pm we will have a roundtable about
LLVM's participation in GSoC and similar programs:
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-10/#round

The list of topics includes:
  - Overall organization of the project (timeline, ideas, etc)
  - Ideas lists
  - Lessons learned from past projects

More topics for discussion are welcome!

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University
_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM participation in GSoC and similar programs roundtable

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Round table on GSoC is a very good idea. Thanks for organizing!

-- Vassil
On 10/22/19 12:51 AM, Anton Korobeynikov via cfe-dev wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> On Wednesday, October 23 at 5 pm we will have a roundtable about
> LLVM's participation in GSoC and similar programs:
> http://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-10/#round
>
> The list of topics includes:
>    - Overall organization of the project (timeline, ideas, etc)
>    - Ideas lists
>    - Lessons learned from past projects
>
> More topics for discussion are welcome!
>

_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM participation in GSoC and similar programs roundtable

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hi,

I'm interested in GSOC in general, but I missed this roundtable unfortunately. Any summary from this session?

Thanks,

-- 
Mehdi


On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Round table on GSoC is a very good idea. Thanks for organizing!

-- Vassil
On 10/22/19 12:51 AM, Anton Korobeynikov via cfe-dev wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> On Wednesday, October 23 at 5 pm we will have a roundtable about
> LLVM's participation in GSoC and similar programs:
> http://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-10/#round
>
> The list of topics includes:
>    - Overall organization of the project (timeline, ideas, etc)
>    - Ideas lists
>    - Lessons learned from past projects
>
> More topics for discussion are welcome!
>

_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev

_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM participation in GSoC and similar programs roundtable

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
Hello

Apologies for the late answer – I had a draft summary that I forgot to send...

So, we mostly discussed several issues both with preparing of open
projects pages and better proposal submission experience for students.

Unfortunately, there is no good solution for ensuring that open
projects pages are up to date and contains set of new and fresh
projects. So, our plan is essentially to start asking for updates
earlier – sometime early December.

For the second issue we thought of preparing some sort of submission
guidelines and check-list what should the proposal include. Also,
Raphael promised to provide some demonstration proposal using his own
past proposal.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM Mehdi AMINI <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in GSOC in general, but I missed this roundtable unfortunately. Any summary from this session?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Mehdi
>
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Round table on GSoC is a very good idea. Thanks for organizing!
>>
>> -- Vassil
>> On 10/22/19 12:51 AM, Anton Korobeynikov via cfe-dev wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > On Wednesday, October 23 at 5 pm we will have a roundtable about
>> > LLVM's participation in GSoC and similar programs:
>> > http://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-10/#round
>> >
>> > The list of topics includes:
>> >    - Overall organization of the project (timeline, ideas, etc)
>> >    - Ideas lists
>> >    - Lessons learned from past projects
>> >
>> > More topics for discussion are welcome!
>> >
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> cfe-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev



--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University
_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LLVM participation in GSoC and similar programs roundtable

Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
I am already pinging the Apple folks from the previous years for updates on their projects (i.e. if we should move their projects to the 2020 list or mark it as completed). I’ll update the project page with their replies as soon as I get them.

I started writing some proposal check-list but it doesn’t seem as useful as just showing off good proposals from previous years. Maybe we should just make a short check-list of things we expect from their proposals and then highlight some proposals from previous years. The previous proposals are anyway publicly available and I know GSoC students look at them, so I think we might as well optimise the whole process and just directly link a few good ones. I’ll make a Phab review for that and then we can see if that’s something we want to do.

- Raphael

On 16. Nov 2019, at 11:58, Anton Korobeynikov via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello

Apologies for the late answer – I had a draft summary that I forgot to send...

So, we mostly discussed several issues both with preparing of open
projects pages and better proposal submission experience for students.

Unfortunately, there is no good solution for ensuring that open
projects pages are up to date and contains set of new and fresh
projects. So, our plan is essentially to start asking for updates
earlier – sometime early December.

For the second issue we thought of preparing some sort of submission
guidelines and check-list what should the proposal include. Also,
Raphael promised to provide some demonstration proposal using his own
past proposal.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM Mehdi AMINI <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm interested in GSOC in general, but I missed this roundtable unfortunately. Any summary from this session?

Thanks,

--
Mehdi


On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

Round table on GSoC is a very good idea. Thanks for organizing!

-- Vassil
On 10/22/19 12:51 AM, Anton Korobeynikov via cfe-dev wrote:
Dear All,

On Wednesday, October 23 at 5 pm we will have a roundtable about
LLVM's participation in GSoC and similar programs:
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-10/#round

The list of topics includes:
  - Overall organization of the project (timeline, ideas, etc)
  - Ideas lists
  - Lessons learned from past projects

More topics for discussion are welcome!


_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev



-- 
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University
_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev


_______________________________________________
cfe-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cfe-dev