LLVM/.Clang: 'make' freeze ?

lbalbalba
Hi,

Ive been trying to build llvm/clang from source, but at the point
where the make reaches ' llvm[4]: Linking Debug+Asserts executable
clang', it seems that the make just seems to freeze or become
unresponsive. When it reaches this point, almost no CPU/IO activity
seems to take place, and yet the 'make' does not seem to progress any
further either. Ive been waiting/watching at this point for quite some
time now. In comparison, the 'linking' steps have taken more time than
the 'compiling' steps, but this is getting ridiculous. Should this
step really take a long time on a linux/fedora box ? Like, hours ? Is
something wrong with my system ? Or should I just let it run
overnight, and see where we are tomorrow morning ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

John Smith.

Re: LLVM/.Clang: 'make' freeze ?

Török Edwin
On 2011-04-10 22:38, John Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ive been trying to build llvm/clang from source, but at the point
> where the make reaches ' llvm[4]: Linking Debug+Asserts executable
> clang', it seems that the make just seems to freeze or become

Try a release build, it needs less disk space and RAM to link.
And unless you intend to cross-compile, try --enable-targets=host-only.

> unresponsive. When it reaches this point, almost no CPU/IO activity
> seems to take place, and yet the 'make' does not seem to progress any
> further either. Ive been waiting/watching at this point for quite some
> time now. In comparison, the 'linking' steps have taken more time than
> the 'compiling' steps, but this is getting ridiculous. Should this
> step really take a long time on a linux/fedora box ? Like, hours ? Is

No, shouldn't take hours, it takes 6m 44s here to do a full
debug+asserts build of clang, out of which 1m is spent linking clang.

What version of gcc and binutils are you using?
See http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc

> something wrong with my system ? Or should I just let it run
> overnight, and see where we are tomorrow morning ?

How much RAM do you have?

Best regards,
--Edwin