Introduction

DbdM Tbt
Hello and good day.
My name is David and I am new here.
Through some situation of mine, I have been introduced to clang and thus found myself in a whole world.
A very different world compared to what I am used to with all the mention of llvm, optimization, compilers, ASTs, etc. Very high-level (PhD-level?) stuff currently way out of my league.
I am writing this to ask a few confirmation questions before asking anything else.
Is this mailing list only for those who are developing "on" clang?
Or can those who are just 'dabbling' in clang, like me who are studying on creating personal tools (ex: LibTooling) ask questions here?
Thank you,
David

Re: Introduction

C Bergström
On 04/26/14 07:05 PM, DbdM Tbt wrote:

> Hello and good day.
> My name is David and I am new here.
> Through some situation of mine, I have been introduced to clang and
> thus found myself in a whole world.
> A very different world compared to what I am used to with all the
> mention of llvm, optimization, compilers, ASTs, etc. Very high-level
> (PhD-level?) stuff currently way out of my league.
> I am writing this to ask a few confirmation questions before asking
> anything else.
> Is this mailing list only for those who are developing "on" clang?
> Or can those who are just 'dabbling' in clang, like me who are
> studying on creating personal tools (ex: LibTooling) ask questions here?
Hi David,

While I probably won't be able to answer your questions - my gut feeling
is you've found the right place. If you're in doubt please take a look
at the archive to see if anything similar has been asked before

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/
http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/

Assuming you feel it's list appropriate and hasn't been answered before
- I don't think it can hurt to try.

Re: Introduction

Sebastian Redl

On 26 Apr 2014, at 14:05, DbdM Tbt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello and good day.
> My name is David and I am new here.
> Through some situation of mine, I have been introduced to clang and thus found myself in a whole world.
> A very different world compared to what I am used to with all the mention of llvm, optimization, compilers, ASTs, etc. Very high-level (PhD-level?) stuff currently way out of my league.
> I am writing this to ask a few confirmation questions before asking anything else.
> Is this mailing list only for those who are developing "on" clang?
> Or can those who are just 'dabbling' in clang, like me who are studying on creating personal tools (ex: LibTooling) ask questions here?

Hi, and welcome. This list is for those who work on Clang and those who use the Clang libraries in their own work. So you are in the right place.

This list is not really for people who just use the compiler to build their code, although I’m not sure what the correct list would be.

Sebastian

Re: Introduction

David Blaikie
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Sebastian Redl
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2014, at 14:05, DbdM Tbt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello and good day.
>> My name is David and I am new here.
>> Through some situation of mine, I have been introduced to clang and thus found myself in a whole world.
>> A very different world compared to what I am used to with all the mention of llvm, optimization, compilers, ASTs, etc. Very high-level (PhD-level?) stuff currently way out of my league.
>> I am writing this to ask a few confirmation questions before asking anything else.
>> Is this mailing list only for those who are developing "on" clang?
>> Or can those who are just 'dabbling' in clang, like me who are studying on creating personal tools (ex: LibTooling) ask questions here?
>
> Hi, and welcome. This list is for those who work on Clang and those who use the Clang libraries in their own work. So you are in the right place.
>
> This list is not really for people who just use the compiler to build their code, although I’m not sure what the correct list would be.

We do have a cfe-users mailing list for that. Still intended for user
issues with Clang specifically, not just C++ programming questions,
but we certainly accept some amount of "clang did <X> and I don't
understand why" even when the why happens to be just normal C++ stuff.