Google Summer of Code - Port LLVM/clang to Plan 9

Google Summer of Code - Port LLVM/clang to Plan 9

Jordan Gordeev
I am a student who would like to participate in Google Summer of Code 2010.

I've come up with the following idea:

        Port LLVM/clang to Plan 9

Plan 9 is an operating system with the following special characteristics:
  1) All binaries are statically linked. There's no dynamic linking.
  2) It uses its own object format which doesn't contain
machine-executable instructions. Here's a quote from the Plan 9 compiler
documentation:
  "The object files are binary forms of assembly language, similar to
what might be passed between the first and second passes of an assembler."
  A new LLVM backend will have to be written.
  3) It never had C++ support.

Do you think porting LLVM/clang to Plan 9 is doable, especially in the
GSoC time frame?

--
Jordan Gordeev

Re: Google Summer of Code - Port LLVM/clang to Plan 9

Douglas Gregor

On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Jordan Gordeev wrote:

> I am a student who would like to participate in Google Summer of Code 2010.
>
> I've come up with the following idea:
>
> Port LLVM/clang to Plan 9
>
> Plan 9 is an operating system with the following special characteristics:
>  1) All binaries are statically linked. There's no dynamic linking.
>  2) It uses its own object format which doesn't contain
> machine-executable instructions. Here's a quote from the Plan 9 compiler
> documentation:
>  "The object files are binary forms of assembly language, similar to
> what might be passed between the first and second passes of an assembler."
>  A new LLVM backend will have to be written.
>  3) It never had C++ support.
>
> Do you think porting LLVM/clang to Plan 9 is doable, especially in the
> GSoC time frame?

I think it's probably slightly on the large side in the GSoC time frame. More importantly, Plan 9 isn't a mainstream platform and isn't likely to be of interest to much of the LLVM community. GSoC mentors are far more interested in accepting projects that will have a significant benefit to the LLVM community, so a project like this runs the risk of being ignored.

        - Doug

Re: Google Summer of Code - Port LLVM/clang to Plan 9

Sebastian Redl

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:15:45 -0700, Douglas Gregor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
>
>>  3) It never had C++ support.
>>
>> Do you think porting LLVM/clang to Plan 9 is doable, especially in the
>> GSoC time frame?
>

> I think it's probably slightly on the large side in the GSoC time frame.
> More importantly, Plan 9 isn't a mainstream platform and isn't likely to
be
> of interest to much of the LLVM community. GSoC mentors are far more
> interested in accepting projects that will have a significant benefit to
> the LLVM community, so a project like this runs the risk of being
ignored.

In addition, since Plan9 never had C++ support, you'd probably have to
start by porting a C++ standard library to Plan9. Since no such library is
part of LLVM, the project at least partially falls outside the domain of
LLVM.

Sebastian

On 3/19/10 10:39 AM, Sebastian Redl wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:15:45 -0700, Douglas Gregor<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
>>
>>>   3) It never had C++ support.
>>>
>>> Do you think porting LLVM/clang to Plan 9 is doable, especially in the
>>> GSoC time frame?
>>

>> I think it's probably slightly on the large side in the GSoC time frame.
>> More importantly, Plan 9 isn't a mainstream platform and isn't likely to
> be
>> of interest to much of the LLVM community. GSoC mentors are far more
>> interested in accepting projects that will have a significant benefit to
>> the LLVM community, so a project like this runs the risk of being
> ignored.
>
> In addition, since Plan9 never had C++ support, you'd probably have to
> start by porting a C++ standard library to Plan9. Since no such library is
> part of LLVM, the project at least partially falls outside the domain of
> LLVM.
>
> Sebastian

Douglas and Sebastian, thank you for your comments!

I actually want to do a project for Plan 9 as a mentoring organization,
so the LLVM community not liking my idea wouldn't deter me.
Having a co-mentor from LLVM/clang would be nice though.

--
Jordan Gordeev