GSoC 2020 - Find null smart pointer dereferences with the LLVM-Clang Static Analyzer

GSoC 2020 - Find null smart pointer dereferences with the LLVM-Clang Static Analyzer

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev

Greetings,

Myself Nithin, I'm a master’s student at Technical University Kaiserslautern, Germany, studying computer science. I am extremely happy that my proposal for GSoC 2020 - Find null smart pointer dereferences with the LLVM-Clang Static Analyzer got accepted. This summer I will be working on adding the feature to the static analyser to find null smart pointer dereferences. I would like to thank the LLVM community for providing such a great opportunity.

I am very much excited and terrified. Hopefully, with help from my mentors Artem Dergachev, Gabor Horwath, and Valeriy Savchenkod, I will be able to finish the project as expected. I think this project will be an amazing opportunity to learn more about Clang Static Analyzer and work with the wonderful LLVM community.

I will try to blog my progress and anything exciting I find in my journey.

---
Thanks & Regards,
Nithin

Re: GSoC 2020 - Find null smart pointer dereferences with the LLVM-Clang Static Analyzer

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev
On 6/5/20 12:54 AM, Nithin Vadukkumchery Rajendrakumar via cfe-dev wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Myself Nithin, I'm a master’s student at Technical University
> Kaiserslautern, Germany, studying computer science. I am extremely
> happy that my proposal for GSoC 2020 - Find null smart pointer
> dereferences with the LLVM-Clang Static Analyzer got accepted. This
> summer I will be working on adding the feature to the static analyser
> to find null smart pointer dereferences. I would like to thank the
> LLVM community for providing such a great opportunity.
>
> I am very much excited and terrified.

I... I'll try to be less intimidating next time >.<

> Hopefully, with help from my mentors Artem Dergachev, Gabor Horwath,
> and Valeriy Savchenkod, I will be able to finish the project as
> expected. I think this project will be an amazing opportunity to learn
> more about Clang Static Analyzer and work with the wonderful LLVM
> community.
>
> I will try to blog my progress and anything exciting I find in my journey.
>
> ---
> Thanks & Regards,
> Nithin

Re: GSoC 2020 - Find null smart pointer dereferences with the LLVM-Clang Static Analyzer

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev
I... I'll try to be less intimidating next time >.<
Haha
I hope you are joking. :)

I really appreciate all your help and guidance.

----
Regards,
Nithin

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM Nithin Vadukkumchery Rajendrakumar via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi,

That's very exciting to hear, I have been hoping for better smart pointer support in the analyzer. I have a code snippet which you are welcome to adapt if it helps you:

I wrote this after asking for help on this mailing list a few months ago. This was not for checking null dereferences, but it does some simple modeling of std::unique_ptr, so it may end up being useful to you. I should warn you that I am a relative beginner at the static analyzer, so it may not even be correct, maybe your mentors will even use it as an example of what not to do :-)

I wish you a great experience in your internship.

Best,
--
Philip C