Finding Code that Counts with Causal Profiling

Finding Code that Counts with Causal Profiling

David Zarzycki via cfe-dev
Just in-case you didn't know about this, check out this new profiling
technique and it's working implementation at;
https://github.com/plasma-umass/coz/

Also a paper describing the work is available at;
https://blog.acolyer.org/2015/10/14/coz-finding-code-that-counts-with-causal-profling/

Re: Finding Code that Counts with Causal Profiling

David Zarzycki via cfe-dev
Hi Mayuresh,

I skimmed the paper and it seems interesting. I have one high-level question: how relevant is this technique to conventional single-threaded compilers? There's some mention of being able to account for system operations (e.g., IO), but It's not clear to me if the tool is of any use for profiling LLVM-based compilers.

Thanks,
Jakub

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM Mayuresh Kathe via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just in-case you didn't know about this, check out this new profiling
technique and it's working implementation at;
https://github.com/plasma-umass/coz/

Also a paper describing the work is available at;
https://blog.acolyer.org/2015/10/14/coz-finding-code-that-counts-with-causal-profling/

Jakub Kuderski

Re: Finding Code that Counts with Causal Profiling

David Zarzycki via cfe-dev
Hi Jakub, thanks for taking the effort to skim through the paper.
I could describe it, but consider it better to hear the whole thing from
the horse's mouth.
Check out the video at; https://youtu.be/r-TLSBdHe1A

~Mayuresh

On 2019-12-12 08:47 AM, Jakub (Kuba) Kuderski wrote:

> Hi Mayuresh,
>
> I skimmed the paper and it seems interesting. I have one high-level
> question: how relevant is this technique to conventional
> single-threaded compilers? There's some mention of being able to
> account for system operations (e.g., IO), but It's not clear to me if
> the tool is of any use for profiling LLVM-based compilers.
>
> Thanks,
> Jakub
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM Mayuresh Kathe via cfe-dev
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just in-case you didn't know about this, check out this new
>> profiling
>> technique and it's working implementation at;
>> https://github.com/plasma-umass/coz/
>>
>> Also a paper describing the work is available at;
>>
> https://blog.acolyer.org/2015/10/14/coz-finding-code-that-counts-with-causal-profling/

> Jakub Kuderski

Re: Finding Code that Counts with Causal Profiling

David Zarzycki via cfe-dev
I could describe it, but consider it better to hear the whole thing from
the horse's mouth.
The issue I see with videos is that they are not searchable and require significant time commitment.

I assumed that since you posted cfe-dev this is related to clang/llvm, or uses clang/llvm in an interesting way. Providing a summary of the paper/video from the perspective of cfe-dev would be really helpful and potentially encourage folks to look more closely into the project.

Thanks,
Jakub

--
Jakub Kuderski

Re: Finding Code that Counts with Causal Profiling

David Zarzycki via cfe-dev
On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 at 05:21, Jakub (Kuba) Kuderski via cfe-dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I could describe it, but consider it better to hear the whole thing from
>> the horse's mouth.
>
> The issue I see with videos is that they are not searchable and require significant time commitment.

Previous email mentioned this link:
https://blog.acolyer.org/2015/10/14/coz-finding-code-that-counts-with-causal-profling/
Everything is explained, with link to the original paper:
http://www.sigops.org/sosp/sosp15/current/2015-Monterey/printable/090-curtsinger.pdf

Chris