Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x)
Hi Doug,

Chandler told me that you are considering adding documentation to the
Clang user's manual about invalid C++ code that GCC accepts but Clang
rejects.  I'd like to contribute something there.  Should I just
create a patch against the UsersManual.html file?  Thanks,

--
Zhanyong

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Douglas Gregor

On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x) wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Chandler told me that you are considering adding documentation to the
> Clang user's manual about invalid C++ code that GCC accepts but Clang
> rejects.

Yes, I'd like to add this documentation. Help would be greatly appreciated!

> I'd like to contribute something there.  Should I just
> create a patch against the UsersManual.html file?  Thanks,

Yes, please!

        - Doug

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Seo Sanghyeon-3
2010/3/5 Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x) <[hidden email]>:
> Chandler told me that you are considering adding documentation to the
> Clang user's manual about invalid C++ code that GCC accepts but Clang
> rejects.  I'd like to contribute something there.  Should I just
> create a patch against the UsersManual.html file?  Thanks,

Interesting. I personally came across this case:
http://codepad.org/YQk1rcDx

--
Seo Sanghyeon

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

John McCall

On Mar 4, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Seo Sanghyeon wrote:

> 2010/3/5 Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x) <[hidden email]>:
>> Chandler told me that you are considering adding documentation to the
>> Clang user's manual about invalid C++ code that GCC accepts but Clang
>> rejects.  I'd like to contribute something there.  Should I just
>> create a patch against the UsersManual.html file?  Thanks,
>
> Interesting. I personally came across this case:
> http://codepad.org/YQk1rcDx

Yep!  That's one of the classic two-stage lookup differences;  gcc is doing an unqualified lookup at a<int>'s point of instantiation instead of its point of definition.  Dependent ADL doesn't find b<> because the arguments have no associated classes.  We'll be sure to list it, thanks.

John.

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x)
Sorry it has taken so long.  Please see the attached patch for my
first attempt.  Let me know if this is the right direction.  Thanks!

--
Zhanyong

clang-cxx-compatibility.patch (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Douglas Gregor
This is great! Feel free to commit it, and we'll keep improving it as we run into more compatibility issues.

Another issue we should write up is dependent template keywords, e.g., "foo()->bar<T>()" needs a "template" after the -> if foo() is a type-dependent expression. I can do that once you've committed your documentation. Thanks!

        - Doug

2010/3/16 Douglas Gregor <[hidden email]>:
> This is great! Feel free to commit it, and we'll keep improving it as we run into more compatibility issues.

Thanks for reviewing it, Doug.

I got:

$ svn commit
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Server sent unexpected return value (400 Bad Request) in response
to MKACTIVITY request for
'/svn/llvm-project/!svn/act/66428d86-c90d-433c-89ba-e3f1184d60b1'
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:

Perhaps I don't have the commit right?

> Another issue we should write up is dependent template keywords, e.g., "foo()->bar<T>()" needs a "template" after the -> if foo() is a type-dependent expression. I can do that once you've committed your documentation. Thanks!
>
>        - Doug
>
> On Mar 15, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x) wrote:
>
>> Sorry it has taken so long.  Please see the attached patch for my
>> first attempt.  Let me know if this is the right direction.  Thanks!

>>> Yes, I'd like to add this documentation. Help would be greatly appreciated!

>>> Yes, please!
>>>
>>>        - Doug
>>

>> --
>> Zhanyong
>> <clang-cxx-compatibility.patch>

--
Zhanyong

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Chris Lattner

On Mar 16, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x) wrote:

> 2010/3/16 Douglas Gregor <[hidden email]>:
>> This is great! Feel free to commit it, and we'll keep improving it as we run into more compatibility issues.
>
> Thanks for reviewing it, Doug.
>
> I got:
>
> $ svn commit
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Server sent unexpected return value (400 Bad Request) in response
> to MKACTIVITY request for
> '/svn/llvm-project/!svn/act/66428d86-c90d-433c-89ba-e3f1184d60b1'
> svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
>
> Perhaps I don't have the commit right?

You don't unless you've been explicitly granted it, someone else can commit the patch for you if you send in the diff.  Thanks!

-Chris

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Rafael Espindola
>> Perhaps I don't have the commit right?
>
> You don't unless you've been explicitly granted it, someone else can commit the patch for you if you send in the diff.  Thanks!

r98708

> -Chris

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Rafael Espindola <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Perhaps I don't have the commit right?
>>
>> You don't unless you've been explicitly granted it, someone else can commit the patch for you if you send in the diff.  Thanks!
>
> r98708
>
>> -Chris
>>

> Cheers,
> --
> Rafael Ávila de Espíndola

Thanks, Rafael!

--
Zhanyong

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x)
Sorry, there's a typo that's messing up the format.  Could someone
commit the attached patch to fix it?  Thanks,

--
Zhanyong

cxx_comp.patch (762 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Clang C++ compatibility documentation

Chandler Carruth
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Zhanyong Wan (λx.x x) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, there's a typo that's messing up the format.  Could someone
commit the attached patch to fix it?  Thanks,

Committed in r98713.

--
Zhanyong