Calling the clang-tools-extra source directory 'extra'

Calling the clang-tools-extra source directory 'extra'

via cfe-dev

Hi,

The buildsystem in clang/tools/CMakeLists.txt currently requires that
clang-tools-extra, if present, is checked out/cloned to a directory
called 'extra'.

This is not made clear in the git instructions, so the first thing I've
always done with a new machine or build is replace that call with a call
to `add_clang_subdirectory`.

I updated the buildsystem and docs with these proposed commits:

  https://reviews.llvm.org/D52819
  https://reviews.llvm.org/D52820

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Re: Calling the clang-tools-extra source directory 'extra'

via cfe-dev
Are you not using a monorepo?  I think the supported workflow going forward is to use the monorepo, and there is an effort (which seems temporarily stalled, but should still happen) to make this the only supported workflow.  So I'd suggest we focus all documentation efforts on pointing people towards the monorepo.

If you are using the monorepo, then clang-tools-extra would be under a top-level folder called clang-tools-extra, and everything would just work.

See http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#for-developers-to-work-with-a-git-monorepo

Re: Calling the clang-tools-extra source directory 'extra'

via cfe-dev
This is what I always use, and it's great, but it could do with being renamed and/or cloned somewhere with a better name. I'm sure to many people the name makes it look like a dated thing, not the latest and greatest.