Building documentation in VS on Windows

Neil Nelson via cfe-dev
Hi All,

I'm trying to build the Clang 3.7.0 doxygen from a Visual Studio environment. Graphviz/Dot and Doxygen were installed using cygwin. I configured the build directory with the command

$ cmake -G "Visual Studio 14" -DLLVM_ENABLE_DOXYGEN=On ..\llvm

When I open the solution, I see the projects "doxygen-clang" and "doxygen-llvm". But when I try to build either of them, I get numerous errors, all of which are file path issues. For instance, the configuration had condensed "...\Program Files (x86)\..." to "...\ProgramFiles(x86)\...". I fixed this by replacing the line

DOT_PATH = @DOT@

with

DOT_PATH = "@DOT@"

in doxygen.cfg.in, but I'm still getting other path-related errors. Is this an unsupported feature on Windows as of 3.7.0? Or am I doing something wrong altogether?

~Scott Constable

Re: Building documentation in VS on Windows

Neil Nelson via cfe-dev
scott constable via cfe-dev <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm trying to build the Clang 3.7.0 doxygen from a Visual Studio
> environment. Graphviz/Dot and Doxygen were installed using cygwin. I
> configured the build directory with the command
>
> $ cmake -G "Visual Studio 14" -DLLVM_ENABLE_DOXYGEN=On ..\llvm
>
> When I open the solution, I see the projects "doxygen-clang" and
> "doxygen-llvm". But when I try to build either of them, I get numerous
> errors, all of which are file path issues. For instance, the configuration
> had condensed "...\Program Files (x86)\..." to "...\ProgramFiles(x86)\...".
> I fixed this by replacing the line
>
> DOT_PATH = @DOT@
>
> with
>
> DOT_PATH = "@DOT@"
>
> in doxygen.cfg.in, but I'm still getting other path-related errors. Is this
> an unsupported feature on Windows as of 3.7.0? Or am I doing something
> wrong altogether?

I haven't tried on Windows, but it looks to me like our doxygen.cfg is
just buggy. There are a number of externally supplied paths in
doxygen.cfg.in, and none of them are quoted. I can get similar errors to
you by creating a build directory with spaces in the name on OS X.

If you search through doxygen.cfg.in for paths that are configured with
@somename@ and put quotes around all of those values, does that fix it
for you? If so, would you mind sending a patch to that effect?

Re: Building documentation in VS on Windows

Neil Nelson via cfe-dev
Justin,

I've just made two commits: one for the doxygen config in LLVM, and one for the config in clang. I also found issues in general with using Doxygen and Graphviz in cygwin. Instead, I had success in using the native windows Doxygen installer, and simply extracting Graphviz into a path with no whitespace.

~Scott