Building Clang with Clang (Self-Host)

Josef Eisl
Hello Everyone!

Do I need some special configuration if I want to build llvm(+clang)
with clang? Found no specific information, just that it should be
possible (Blog-Entry). Just setting CXX=clang didn't work for me.

I am using the latest svn version. First clang was built with gcc
(Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1.

If this was topic covered by another post or anywhere else then sorry
for the noise.

Thanks in advance,
Josef

Re: Building Clang with Clang (Self-Host)

Roman Divacky
On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 11:01:34AM +0100, Josef Eisl wrote:
> Hello Everyone!
>
> Do I need some special configuration if I want to build llvm(+clang)
> with clang? Found no specific information, just that it should be
> possible (Blog-Entry). Just setting CXX=clang didn't work for me.

I do that by rewriting CC/CXX in Makefile.config

> I am using the latest svn version. First clang was built with gcc
> (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1.
>
> If this was topic covered by another post or anywhere else then sorry
> for the noise.

selfhosting is currently broken on ELF platforms - see bug 6353

Roman Divacky wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 11:01:34AM +0100, Josef Eisl wrote:
>> Hello Everyone!
>>
>> Do I need some special configuration if I want to build llvm(+clang)
>> with clang? Found no specific information, just that it should be
>> possible (Blog-Entry). Just setting CXX=clang didn't work for me.
>
> I do that by rewriting CC/CXX in Makefile.config

Oh, my mistake. I set CXX=clang instead of CXX=clang++. Changing that
resolved my linker problems...

>> I am using the latest svn version. First clang was built with gcc
>> (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1.
>>
>> If this was topic covered by another post or anywhere else then sorry
>> for the noise.
>
> selfhosting is currently broken on ELF platforms - see bug 6353

Thanks for the pointer. It seems my system is effected by this bug.

Re: Building Clang with Clang (Self-Host)

Douglas Gregor

On Mar 2, 2010, at 9:27 AM, Josef Eisl wrote:

> Roman Divacky wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 11:01:34AM +0100, Josef Eisl wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone!
>>>
>>> Do I need some special configuration if I want to build llvm(+clang)
>>> with clang? Found no specific information, just that it should be
>>> possible (Blog-Entry). Just setting CXX=clang didn't work for me.
>>
>> I do that by rewriting CC/CXX in Makefile.config
>
> Oh, my mistake. I set CXX=clang instead of CXX=clang++. Changing that
> resolved my linker problems...

I recommend

        CC=clang CXX=clang++

>>> I am using the latest svn version. First clang was built with gcc
>>> (Ubuntu 4.4.1-4ubuntu9) 4.4.1.
>>>
>>> If this was topic covered by another post or anywhere else then sorry
>>> for the noise.
>>
>> selfhosting is currently broken on ELF platforms - see bug 6353
>
> Thanks for the pointer. It seems my system is effected by this bug.

All Linux systems will be affected; Darwin (Mac OS) systems will not be affected.

        - Doug