Alternative to -pg for clang?

Matt Joiner
I observed there is no implementation of -pg for clang. Is there any
plan to do this, or an alternative framework in place? Can anyone
recommend an alternative free and effective sampling profiler with
minimal overhead?

Re: Alternative to -pg for clang?

Reid Kleckner-2
Don't know about a plan for -pg, but since I've been evaluating Linux
profiling tools for a class recently, I'll give some recommendations.

If you're using Linux, I'd recommend "perf" (aka "Linux Perf Events"
or "Linux Performance Counters", names that are un-google-able).  The
command line interface is *much* easier to use than oprofile for
performance counters, which is what I was interested in.  I think the
callgraph support is a bit weaker than gprof.  It handled recursion
*very* poorly, which is pretty lame.  The main things to like about it
are the interface, low overhead, and the fact that you don't need to
rebuild.

There's also google-perftools cpuprofiler:
http://google-perftools.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/cpuprofile.html
I've only used their heap profiler, which worked reasonably well.
Google uses this for everything apparently, so it's probably not half
bad.

Reid

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Matt Joiner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I observed there is no implementation of -pg for clang. Is there any
> plan to do this, or an alternative framework in place? Can anyone
> recommend an alternative free and effective sampling profiler with
> minimal overhead?

Re: Alternative to -pg for clang?

Matt Joiner
Thanks for the pointers, I was hoping very much for something other
than the usual recommendations of "Zoom" and "OProfile". I'll give
these profilers you've suggested a try.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Reid Kleckner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't know about a plan for -pg, but since I've been evaluating Linux
> profiling tools for a class recently, I'll give some recommendations.
>
> If you're using Linux, I'd recommend "perf" (aka "Linux Perf Events"
> or "Linux Performance Counters", names that are un-google-able).  The
> command line interface is *much* easier to use than oprofile for
> performance counters, which is what I was interested in.  I think the
> callgraph support is a bit weaker than gprof.  It handled recursion
> *very* poorly, which is pretty lame.  The main things to like about it
> are the interface, low overhead, and the fact that you don't need to
> rebuild.
>
> There's also google-perftools cpuprofiler:
> http://google-perftools.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/cpuprofile.html
> I've only used their heap profiler, which worked reasonably well.
> Google uses this for everything apparently, so it's probably not half
> bad.
>
> Reid
>
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Matt Joiner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I observed there is no implementation of -pg for clang. Is there any
>> plan to do this, or an alternative framework in place? Can anyone
>> recommend an alternative free and effective sampling profiler with
>> minimal overhead?

Re: Alternative to -pg for clang?

Daniel Dunbar
If you can stand the performance penalty, cachegrind + kcachegrind are
also available and can produce some very detailed information.

 - Daniel