Adding New Language

Mark Chandler
Hey Guys,

Was thinking adding a new language support to clang (just to play around with atm) and was wondering where to start with it all.

Mark

Re: Adding New Language

Douglas Gregor

On Aug 23, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Mark Chandler wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> Was thinking adding a new language support to clang (just to play around with atm) and was wondering where to start with it all.

Unless your new language is simply a dialect of C, C++, or Objective-C, Clang isn't the right place to start because the entire design is geared toward that family of languages.

Some of its pieces might be useful for other languages: the SourceManager and Diagnostic engines, for example, could possibly be reused. If your language uses the C preprocessor (ugh!), the Lex module might be reused.

        - Doug

Re: Adding New Language

Pedro Ferreira
May I ask what language is it you are implementing?